- 1lb ground chicken
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1tbsp The Savories
- 1 tbsp The Chiles
Chile Tomato Broth
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 chipotle chiles, 1 ancho chile (seeds, stems, and veins removed)
- 1/2-1 cup chicken broth
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the meatballs.
- At this point you’ll have a very wet mixture. Using a cookie scoop, form it into meatballs about the size of a golf ball each. If using your hands, make sure they’re slightly wet before handling the meat to make it easier.
- Lay the meatballs on a sheet tray. If prepping them in advance, cover in plastic and store in the fridge.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, add a few tbsp of olive oil and cook down the onion for a few minutes.
- Add in the cherry tomatoes, garlic, and chiles. Cook for a minute or two to soften slightly.
- Pour in 1/2 cup of chicken broth, and place a cover on the pan. Steam for 5-10 minutes until the tomatoes are very soft.
- Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Pour the contents into a blender and blend everything together. Add additional chicken broth and salt as needed to get your desired taste and consistency.
- Pass the mixture through a fine mesh strainer and set aside.
- Place a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add in a few tbsp of olive oil.
- Place the chicken meatballs in the skillet and sear them on all sides for a few minutes each.
- Once the outsides of the meatballs are seared, pour in the chile tomato broth, and cook over medium low heat until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Top with cilantro, sliced red onion, cotija cheese, and any other toppings you’d like.